Thursday, March 5, 2020

Dang it, Bobby!

I've started listening to Dead & Company while studying again.  Last spring, after bingeing most of Dick's Picks, I decided to take a break from the Dead with . . . Dead & Co.  I took up listening because the band is good about uploading full shows to Spotify.  And I wanted to hear how John Mayer and Oteil Burbridge interacted with Bob Weir and Bill Kreutzmann.

Oh, Bob Weir.  Bobby was never anyone's favorite.  I always preferred Jerry, of course, and sometimes Phil when you can hear him on Betty boards.  And I always skip "Drums" and Bobby's early 90s blues attempts like "Little Red Rooster."

But, with Dead & Co., I've come to appreciate Bobby.  As Mayer transitions into the frontman, Bobby has stepped up as the elder statesman.  One . . . well, two things I love about Bobby are that 1) he's human, and 2) he's old.  And no Dead & Co. show is complete without Bobby whiffing a lyric or two.

So I've decided to compile a couple of the best Bobby blunders.  I should say that my intent isn't to make fun.  The Dead were NEVER consistent performers, and Dead & Co. continues that tradition.  Rather, I hope this serves as a gateway to a revival that some have sworn off without listening.  And I hope you can relate to the inevitable brain farts that are coming for us all in our autumn years:
This audience cam (see above) starts near the end with a good Mayer solo.  Then the transition out of the jam is, as one commenter describes it, "a rough landing."  The official release has Bobby messing up the lyrics around the 1:50 mark.  I won't repeat the expletive he uses.  Then Bobby has ANOTHER flub near 5:45.  Happens to the best of us!  [Editor's note: here's the full track from YouTube.]
I did find the official audio for this one on YouTube.  Bobby gets lost around 2:20, but the Lockn' crowd is supportive.  And no expletive this time!  Improvement!

I tried to find at least three, but I didn't keep thorough journal records outside of the shows I liked.  I've already recommended 2018-02-24, but also check out 2017-12-01 and 2018-02-17.  And this "Bird Song" from 2018-02-18 is exceptional (see below):

UPDATE 2020-03-09:  I came across (an)other one while studying this weekend.  "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" from 2018-07-11, around the 3:00 mark.