Thursday, January 9, 2020

All Cops Are Woody Harrelson


So what even is a character actor?  I should've discussed that in my last macro-blog post.  But what I did remember to do was foreshadow THIS macro-blog post.  And this one is about maybe-character actor Woody Harrelson.

Did you forget that Woody Harrelson was in a Star Wars story?  How could you?  I think about this a lot.  Woody is in the Star Wars Universe with Carl Weathers, Nick Nolte, Richard Ayoade, Amy Sedaris, Bill Burr, Taika Waititi, Richard E. Grant and Werner Herzog.

In his Star Wars story, Woody is a scoundrel.  I thought this was unusual.  Woody is often cast as a cop.  Have you noticed this?

He was a cop in Three Billboards.  He was a cop in True Detective.  He was a cop in Rampart.  He was a cop in The Highwaymen.  He was a cop in Triple 9.  He was a cop in Battle in Seattle.

But Woody doesn't just play cops.  Woody has played his fair share of other scoundrels.  Natural Born KillersZombieland.

Venom (cameo).  No Country for Old MenThe Hunger GamesThe Glass Castle.

Seven PsychopathsNow You See MeWar for the Planet of the ApesGame Change.

I think that's about it.  So that's about six cop roles versus eleven scoundrel roles.  Let's get Woody to play five more cops.  We must balance the books.

Another note: have you noticed that Jon Hamm has played a lot of government employees?  Bad Times at the El RoyaleThe ReportRichard Jewell.

Top Gun: MaverickBeirutThe Town.  I think that's about it.

If I was writing a cop movie, I'd have Woody and Jon bickering over jurisdiction.  "This is my case,"  Woody would say.  "No, this case is the Government's now," Jon would retort.  I haven't cast the commissioner that's "had it up to HERE" yet.  Maybe next macro-blog . . .