Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Carmel-by-the-Sea, California


As foreshadowed in my sequel macro-blog post, I'll macro-blog about Clint Eastwood.  Did you know that Clint Eastwood was mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California?  I learned this from my friend Dan'l when we discussed Play Misty for Me.  Mayor Eastwood doesn't come up when people talk about "proto-Trumps."

The obvious ones are Governor Ventura and Senator Franken.  But let us not forget President ReaganGovernor Schwarzenegger.  And Representative Bono.  Those three all held office in California.  And all three were Republicans! Hmmm . . .

Speaking of California, I even read yesterday that Eve Babitz is a conservative!  Can you imagine Babitz talking to an empty chair at the 2020 RNC?  I bet Babitz and Trump would get along, both of them loving hot gossip, or "hot goss."  But anyway, Eve Babitz never held office, nor is she Clint Eastwood.

I did see a good Eastwood movie recently: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.  Jeff Bridges (Lightfoot) was the real highlight.  But Eastwood (Thunderbolt) was a good older brother figure to Lightfoot (Bridges).  Odd that Eastwood (Thunderbolt) was already the "I'm too old for this" character in 1974.

Maybe Thunderbolt and Lightfoot kicked off Eastwood's "okay now I'm too old" cycle.  I'm thinking of Unforgiven, Space Cowboys, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino and The Mule.  My friend Dan'l is less knowledgeable about late-era Eastwood so I can't ask him.  Maybe a better title for this cycle is a "retirement tour."

Jushin "Thunder" Liger, a masked wrestler, just completed his retirement tour.  Maybe I'll macro-blog about wrestling next post . . .

Also, do you think Carmel-by-the-Sea inspired "Cake by The Ocean?"