Monday, May 25, 2020

The First Last Jedi

Hello, again.  I thought I'd check-in (again) with a discovery.  I ran out of books to read on my trip home.  I finished Welcome to Hard Times yesterday, and Live and Let Die the day before that.  That makes seven books so far this quarantine summer!  Here's the full list:

1. The Raw and the Cooked by Jim Harrison (dropped at pg. 200)
3. Little Sister Death by William Gay
5. If It Bleeds by Stephen King (skipped title story)
6. Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming (James Bond Series #2)
7. Welcome to Hard Times by E.L. Doctorow (see above)

So, without books, I've been reading some comics listed in my observation journal.  Some highlight-worthy issues included Police Comics #23 and Marvel's Star Wars #45.  In that Star Wars issue, I began to notice some overlaps with my favorite Saga film, The Last Jedi.  First, foreshadowing of the infamous (groan) "Mary Poppins" scene:
But that's not all!  There's also foreshadowing for the also-infamous Holdo maneuverSpoiler warning for a comic book from 1981:
Wild stuff, folks.  Also, look at this cool spread:
And, of course, issue number forty-nine is titled "The Last Jedi" (see above).  I haven't read that issue yet.  I saw the preview while reading issue forty-eight, where Leia fights Darth Vader (kinda):
Who cares if these comics aren't canon anymore!  There's gold in them hills.  And I've proven that Rian Johnson read these.  If only Johnson read about Southern accents when directing Daniel Craig!