Sunday, January 19, 2020

Mad Hell: Fury Frogtown


Enough of that sincere stuff, back to movies!  Now that I have WiFi, I finally watched Hell Comes to FrogtownFavorite Rory Calhoun wasn't prominent, but I did gain something from the view.  That is: I discovered that Frogtown and instant classic Mad Max: Fury Road have the same plot.

Now, I'm not accusing George Miller of gimmick infringement.  All I'm saying is, there's only so many post-apocalyptic plots.  And the comparisons aren't one-to-one (none of mine are).  Let me do the cliche film critic thing and lay them out:

In Frogtown, wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper is Sam Hell, the most fertile man in the wasteland.  After donating his body to the feds, he's sent off with a scientist and a gunner (see above).  Unknown to Hell, he's also contracted to liberate the city of Frogtown.  There, the town's mutant leader has a harem in need of rescue.

In Fury Road, "Venom" Tom Hardy of Star Trek: Nemesis is Mad Max, the quietest ally in the Bush.  After donating his blood to a desert despot, he's sent off with an albino and Megyn Kelly.  Unknown to Max, he's also gotta help Furiosa liberate Joe's Citadel.  There, the town's namesake has a harem in need of rescue.

See what I mean?  It only took a little editorializing to make my case.  Mad Hell: Fury Frogtown would make another great double feature.  But speaking of creatures on bikes . . .