Sunday, January 19, 2020

@tokugifs


Last time on Dalton's Macro-Blog, I foreshadowed creatures on bikes.  It was an imperfect foreshadow, but it'll do.  I was alluding to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu series.  What is tokusatsu? Let me explain . . . 

I'm not on Twitter, but I do stalk a few accounts.  @dril@tde_wrestling@NextOnTCM.

One account that came back from a brief hiatus is @tokugifs.  I found out about the account from this io9 article.  And this other io9 article better explains tokusatsu and Super Sentai than I ever could.  I grew up on Power Rangers, and Tokusatsu GIFs expanded my appreciation of the (unedited) genre.

As is a macro-blog tradition, this post will be majority photos.  But I figured out how to post GIFs!!!  So I've picked out four shows I've discovered through the account.  I hope this serves as your gateway to tokusatsu like Tokusatsu GIFs was my gateway:

Like anime, you can generalize tokusatsu into a "Big Three."  Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are all imposing franchises.  I've yet to crack Ultraman, but Kamen Rider W introduced me to its respective franchise.  The theme here is noir, which is a good starting place if you like detective novels as much as me.

Once you get into the genre, you'll find that most tokusatsu shows get made for kids.  For a dark, adult-oriented outlier, check out Golden Knight Garo.  Warning: some of the first seasons' CGI hasn't aged well.  But if you dig this, there's a whole franchise to get into!

Look at this GIF.  Need I say more about Kyodai Ken Bycrosser?  The motorcycle is a laser gun!

Ressha Sentai ToQger may be my favorite discovery from Tokusatsu GIFs.  Instead of a dinosaur or pirate theme, this Super Sentai series tackled TRAINS.  If you grew up a Thomas the Tank Engine mark like me, you'll love this goofy extravaganza (see above).  One interesting note is that Saban passed over this series for a Power Rangers adaption.  Even more reason to check it out!

Speaking of pictures . . .