Monday, February 10, 2020

Spotted in the Wild

From cats to dogs?  I didn't expect it either!  I've been stewing on a travel macro-blog after last weekend's trip to Oxford.  But alas!  I spotted a Don Knotts in the wild!

And by "wild," I mean that I started watching Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated on Netflix.  I'd seen a few stray memes from the show.  But it took a "rec" from my friend Maggie to finally start watching.  And now I'm recommending it to you!

I've always liked Scooby-Doo as a kindertrauma concept.  But some early aughts incarnations kept me from any of the revivals.  The pendulum swung either too dark or too baffling for even rubbernecking purposes.  And it's strange seeing these 60s teens running around malls or a Food Network set.

Mystery Incorporated finds a balance.  The show leans into a groovy aesthetic that I'm a sucker for (see Tim Burton's Dark Shadows).  And the zaniness is limited to the concept itself, not wink-wink intentional camp.  It could fall into recent vintage Peak TV trappings (dark overtones, serialized storytelling).  But it never does!

Then the show will have Don Knotts in the background of an episode!

Or an episode guest-starring Harlan Ellison (see above) and Jeffrey Combs as H.P. Lovecraft!!

And even an episode featuring the Hex Girls!!!

According to IMDb, Don Knotts also appears in TWO New Scooby-Doo Movies.  I only knew of The Spooky Fog!  And I remember renting Night of 100 Frights from Movie Gallery!!

What a bevy of delights!  But speaking of a post I should've made last week . . .