Monday, February 3, 2020

This is a Garfield Stan Account Now


I'll take it from here, Don!  I thought I'd return with another majority-picture macro-blog post.  I promise they aren't all the Garfield (2004) TY Beanie Baby.  Gaze into its eyes.

Along with the Far Side, I read Garfield every morning.  I guess I keep up for (1) nostalgia, and (2) because each strip is a fascinating document.  Below I've attached a few good ones.  But I've also attached some recent strips to illustrate a disturbing trend.

This is relatable!  I sent it to MK.

This is also relatable!  I sent it to my friend and cat-sitter Brooke.

This, too, is relatable!  I sent it to my cat Lydia.

This is where things get strange.  I don't get this!  The echo of a thrown snowball is another snowball?  Is the same snowball coming back like a boomerang?  Why did the force of the snowball scalp John?  This is why I tune in every morning.

Another disturbing panel.  If you read enough Garfield, you'll notice that Garfield isn't expressive.  He may make two expressions per strip, if any.  Often, the third panel holds this change in expression.  The common gag is a bored expression for two panels, then ending on a reaction shot.  And the reaction shot in this third panel looks like the beanie baby!  I don't like the way it makes me feel.
If the last one wasn't bad enough, take a gander at this!  What a way to start February!  Garfield looks like Orson Welles in Touch of Evil!
But speaking of cats . . .